[OT] TOTPs not offered in HD (720p)

Owen Smith owen.smith at cantab.net
Thu Dec 29 03:43:39 PST 2016

Freeview HD uses AAC sound, either in stereo or 5.1 (sometimes with another AAC stream for audio described). It is never in AC3 aka Dolby Digital. Many set top boxes (including mine) transcode the AAC to Dolby Digital so that amps can play it, this leads to confusion on what format is being broadcast.

I am aware that Freesat sometimes uses AC3 sound but I don't keep up with details as I don't have satellite.

It is probably more pertinent to the discussion to say the broadcast stream sometimes includes 5.1 sound which the iPlayer version never does. It's the stereo vs. multi channel sound aspect that is important here.
--
Owen Smith <owen.smith at cantab.net>
Cambridge, UK