Audio/Video Out of Sync

Alan Milewczyk alan at soulman1949.com
Mon Aug 15 10:36:41 PDT 2016

On 15/08/16 17:59, Jim web wrote:

> Until a few days ago I was using 'best' and I think this was giving me the
> 'RTMPDump'. *However* a few days ago I changed from using a 'development'
> version of 2.95 to the 2.95 released a while ago. At that point, and until
> today, I've been focussed on trying to diagnose the hls problems and,
> latterly, on the puzzles with the hvf files lacking audio when played.
>
> This morning I used the 'best' option, but it now occurs to me: Does that
> no longer use the 'flash' mode? I just tried a couple of fetches explicitly
> specifying 'flash' and they fetched OK, as I was getting until the last few
> days. So my apologies if I overlooked this and and in fact the flash mode
> is still mostly working OK. It was because I was using my program that
> chooses between predefined sets of options and I've forgotten it used
> 'best' for the one in question.

If I read this correctly then you're confusing two things, the mode of
download (HLS, HVF, FLASH) and the quality level (best, hd, vhigh, etc).

To quote from the release notes (2. New default streaming formats):

        "TV

  * HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) is now the default format for on-demand TV
  * HLS downloads are MPEG-TS (transport stream) files, which can be
    played by most media players. The files are re-muxed to MP4 by
    default to make them palatable to AtomicParsley for metadata
    tagging. Downloading with|--raw|will produce MPEG-TS files.
  * RTMP (Flash) format is temporarily still available
    with|--tvmode=flash|. The previous default setting is available
    with|--tvmode=flashbetter|."

And from the Wiki "Modes"

        "Quality levels

Quality level can be one of five possible values (in order of decreasing
bitrate and resolution):

  * best
  * better
  * good
  * worse
  * worst"

        <https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/release295#radio>"The
        stream type prefixes and quality levels can be combined,
        e.g.|hlsgood|,|hvfbest|,|dashworst|,"

HTH

Alan