Audio/Video Out of Sync

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Sun Aug 14 15:31:16 PDT 2016

>From: RS Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 22:53

>If we had a 25fps equivalent of HVFHD we wouldn't need HLSHD or FlashHD.
>There are two modes at 960x540.  HVFSD is 50fps and HVFvhigh is 25fps.  A
>mode at 1280x720 25fps is the obvious step down from HVFHD, but it isn't
>there.  It's strange since a lot of content doesn't need to be 50fps.

I've just found some articles by someone called Christopher Woods entitled
How good is HD supposed to be.  There is a link to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2015-07-the-development-of-new-video-factory-profiles-for-bbc-iplayer
which gives some information on the Video Factory project.
"At around 3 Mbit/s a 960x540 profile at 50fps will be made available to
Connected TVs and set top boxes. The Elemental encoders are used to convert
the 1920x1080 interlaced content to 960x540 for progressive encoding at
50fps. Although the 960x540 profile has a reduced spatial resolution
compared to the outgoing 1280x720 at 25fps, subjective assessments shows it
delivers significantly better pictures on TV screens across a wide range of
popular content (such as EastEnders and Top Gear) due to its higher frame
rate. The 50fps, 1280x720 profile, however, will be available to those with
5Mbit/s broadband connections."

There is also a link to a blog.