Audio/Video Out of Sync

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Wed Aug 10 03:08:56 PDT 2016

On Wed Aug 10 09:53:51 BST 2016, Jim web wrote:

> However it might matter which server we access.

... Well, of course it matters, a heck of a deal!

> Has anyone compared them to see
> if one gives blips/premature ends when the
> other(s) are OK?

I assume we are discussing here the "Segment not found"
issue plaguing the hls tvmodes (and not the audio artifacts
described as "blips" by C E Macfarlane in audio downloads,
earlier in the thread...).

Well, there aren't OTHERS! All the flavours of the hls
tvmodes (hldhd, hlsvhigh, hlshigh, hlsstd, hlslow) are
hosted/streamed on the same Akamai CDN, whose
hostname is:

"cp401489-vh.akamaihd.net"

(supplier="akamai_hls_open")

The hls tvmodes are the default in GiP 2.95,
thus causing grief to GiP 2.95 users!

One other thing; according to the commit comment at:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/commit/48150e5

> HLS stream corruption has spread to radio

it would appear that radio downloads (hls radiomodes)
are also affected; I haven't noticed such a report in the list/forum
about "Segments not found" during audio downloads,
possibly because the default radiomode (320k in the UK)
uses MPEG-DASH streams.
The hls radiomodes are hosted/streamed again
on a unique Akamai CDN, whose hostname is:

"cp401492-vh.akamaihd.net"

again being (supplier="akamai_hls_open")

To conclude, inform your BBC liaison that
it is the "akamai_hls_open" CDN/supplier
that is misbehaving currently (since the start
of the month...).

Regards.