Audio/Video Out of Sync

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Tue Aug 9 03:57:29 PDT 2016

On Tue Aug 9 10:50:50 BST 2016, Alan Milewczyk wrote:

> I rarely use BBC iPlayer but do we know
> if that has the sync problems
> we've been experiencing on GiP downloads?

Not applicable, am afraid - BBC iPlayer on a desktop
browser uses by default AdobeHDS streams, if Flash installed;
if flash is absent and permitting the OS/browser employed,
it may fall to MPEG-DASH streams (require HTML5 support
in the browser and native h.264/aac decoders in the browser/OS).

The hlshd tvmode that GiP uses and has been at fault lately
is originally destined for IPTV sets (Smart TVs/BluRays etc.),
but it's not the only option for those - hvf streams are available, too.
Lower quality hls modes are targetting ipads and the like,
again not the unique option on those - so from a practical
standpoint it could be difficult to do your proposed check.

> the sync problems

As you can read at:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/thread-973-post-4415.html#pid4415

those are just another manifestation
of the initial problem, which is that the
original AppleHLS stream has missing
segments - as mentioned by dinky,
--raw will get you MPEG-TS files where
A/V is in sync, but with portions of