episode oddity

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Thu Aug 4 21:27:45 PDT 2016

On Wed Aug 3 21:52:46 BST 2016, Alan Milewczyk wrote:

> but one thing puzzles me.
> For some time now, HLS has been my preferred
> method of fetching the programmes.
> I never got these error messages with v2.94
> so is v2.95 reporting errors differently to previous versions?

Hello friend, I do hope your oral health has been restored
and no more pain-relievers are needed...

I can't be verbose right now, but:

1. The error messages people get currently
when fetching hlshd tvmode of some PIDs
with 2.95 appears to be a beeb's glitch
and I discussed some alternatives in another thread post.
2. In GiP 2.94, AppleHLS streams were
dumped via FFmpeg; when something went awry,
most of the messages (errors/warnings)
were generated by ffmpeg itself.
In GiP 2.95, as explained many times,
the recording is realised by default via a native
("built-in" the coder calls it) perl HLS downloader.
Various HLS messages are now printed
from that built-in downloader, so yes,
"v2.95 IS reporting errors differently to previous versions."
(For more, have a look at the code inside:
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/commit/e2adee8 )

Have a fine summer day,
Vangelis.