episode oddity

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 02:22:29 PDT 2016

In article <e19e925a-1b91-833c-376d-80db915b0484 at su2root.ukfsn.org>, The
Kernel <thekernel at su2root.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On 03/08/16 20:12, Shevek wrote:
> > If I then retry using FLASHHD the download completes without error.

> Just to say

> If you are working from a connection that would have trouble with HD

> I tried flashstd and it too works without error

More specifically, you may mean, "It worked for me on that occasion,
without error".

However it seems clear there *is* an 'intermittent' problem of some kind.
Alas, as any repairman knows, intermittent problems can be the hardest to
diagnose and fix.

Once again this morning I tried fetching the last episode in the "Saving
lives at sea" series. This halted early at about 40m duration when fetched
using hls.

However the alternative method described in my earlier postings then duly
worked OK.

Indeed, this gave me about 1h 15mins! There seems to be an 'bonus' item
about the RNLI people added on at the end, following a blank gap of some
seconds after the end credits of the actual broadcast. I didn't see the
live over-air TX so wonder if this was aired or is meant to be a 'bonus'
file which might have been planned to be obtainable from iplayer.

What I can't tell, of course, is if the problems are down the something the
BBC are doing that is 'wrong', or if some rare aspect of the system is
catching out hls fetching with gip. But either way, it now seems clear that
something is going wrong on some occasions.

The problem for me with the alternative fetching method (which here only
states it is RTMPDump, but that may be a mislabel) is rather slower than
HLS. This is an minor irritant, but nevertheless, something somewhere isn't
always working as it should.

Jim