Future of get-iplayer when BBC changes licence

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Aug 3 05:06:18 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 06:52:14PM +0100, John Bray wrote:

> Do you know how the BBC will enforce there new online licence rules?

I expect that they'll enforce it the same way as they do now for live
streaming via iPlayer, and the same way as they do for receiving
broadcast television. That is, they'll rely on honesty.

> If they introduce an account system where you have quote an address,
> licence, or over 75 dispensation, how can the program continue to work
> from the Linux command line, as I've so enjoyed using it for a decade.

If they were to demand all that information before allowing people to
use iPlayer in a web browser it would then set a cookie. Receiving,
recording, and using a cookie in a command line program is trivial
although it would of course require changes to allow you to submit the
necessary information.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

  Your call is important to me.  To see if it's important to
  you I'm going to make you wait on hold for five minutes.
  All calls are recorded for blackmail and amusement purposes.