How good is HD supposed to be?

Dave Liquorice allsorts at howhill.com
Thu Apr 28 16:57:19 PDT 2016

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 07:07:33 -0500, artisticforge . wrote:

>>> NB hvfhd DOES NOT OFFER HIGHER RESOLUTION (CLARITY), only doubled
>>> framerate (25FPS x2), which results in smoother scenes where motion is
>>> involved!
>>
>> How does repeating frames improve smoothness of movement? Or does this
>> encode upscale each field(*) and encode that to increase the temporal
>> resolution?
>
> It is the frames per second that provide the human eye with the
> persistence of vision, the illusion of motion.

I could show you 100 fps but if there where only 4 different images
displayed the illusion of motion would be no smoother than 25 fps. You only
get smoother movement by increasing the number of different images
displayed.

So if this hvfhd only repeats each frame to get a higher frame there is no
increase in smoothness. How ever if they take each field, upscale it and
encode as a frame that would inrease the smoothness.

--
Cheers
Dave.