How to download 96kbps HE-AAC radio 3 stream?

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 10:26:42 PDT 2016

In article <557357efebweb at audiomisc.co.uk>, Jim web
<web at audiomisc.co.uk>
wrote:

> *However* the Flash system Adobe provided for Linux wasn't upgraded. So
> can only handle 44k. Hence if you get 44k from the Linux plugin (or use
> of older ones elsewhere) it is downconverting.

To expand and clarify a little:

If you've been using the (old!) Adobe Flash plugin for Linux (e.g. with
FireFox or another browser) it will be getting 48k sample rate from the
BBC, then downconverting it to 44k. This means a needless downcoversion
takes place.

To confuse everyone:

A) The old Flash player tells fibs. Some of the values it displays are hard
wired into the code.

B) On many Linux distros, by default, the system will be running an audio
'mixer'. (Pulse Audio is a common culprit here.) This tends to convert
everything sent for playout to 48k.

A and B above confused people at the BBC about this until I got them to
check. They'd believed what Adobe told them, not realising that Adobe had
abandoned Flash for linux without dealing with its old 44k limit. (Windows
and Mac users were OK as the newer versions should handle 48k sample rate
as they have newer versions from Adobe.)

So you may well be able to get low data rate streams. But they'll be 48k
sample rate. *Avoid* the old Flash plugin for Linux if you can... and of
course given gip, you can. :-)

Jim