How to download 96kbps HE-AAC radio 3 stream?

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 09:53:50 PDT 2016

In article <BAY172-W300ABA1BAFAC8002BF7731946C0 at phx.gbl>, ChenZhe
<t-64 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,

> I am out of UK, so normally I could only download in 'hlsaaclow' and
> 'flashaaclow' mode which are of 48kbps HE-AAC quality @ 48kHz.

> However, the aac stream embedded in flash player is of better quality
> which is  96kbps HE-AAC @ 44kHz. An example link is:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0770h0q

> What is the correspondent mode to download the 44kHz 96kbps stream ?

My understanding is that the BBC ceased sending the 44k streams for Flash.
This was because they'd been told (incorrectly!) by Adobe that all the
plugins could now accept 48k. The older flash plugins couldn't.

*However* the Flash system Adobe provided for Linux wasn't upgraded. So can
only handle 44k. Hence if you get 44k from the Linux plugin (or use of
older ones elsewhere) it is downconverting.

At least this is what was established when I asked people at the BBC to
check some months ago. Previous to 'Audio Factory' they'd been deliberately
generating a 44k version to cope with the old plugins. Given what they were
told, they took that out of the system.

Jim