Why is '-- type radio' needed?

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Fri Oct 16 01:22:55 PDT 2015

In article <2BB40362A0284287B278E1D63424AB7C at vasonote>, Vangelis
forthnet
<northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr> wrote:

> So, without inputting --type=radio, no download is performed; as per the
> instructions, I have to input --modes=flashaaclow (or --modes=hlsaaclow)
> to get it; and mode shortcuts don't work either (flash, flashaac, hls,
> hlsaac, best etc.).

> 2. pid=b06cw6r7 (radio, > 7d old, ergo not in the radio.cache)

I'd like to check to clarify this area. I regularly fetch R3/4/3ex
programmes via their pid. So far I've used rtmp and not experimented enough
to establish how to change this for radio to hls. (FWIW I'm getting tv via
hls just fine.)

For getting both 128k R4/R4ex and 320k R3 is the optimum choice

 --type=radio --modes=hlslow  ?

or should I try hlshigh, or... ?

I realise should have experimented before now, but confess I've been
otherwise occupied,[1] and have just gone on using rtmp for radio despite
having changed to hls for tv!

Jim

[1] Been working in conjunction with a local museum on the history of audio
and radio.