OT Live Streaming Radio 4 News

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Thu May 28 09:00:02 PDT 2015

On Thu May 28 13:41:47 BST 2015, Andrew Fear wrote:

> Does the demise of  RTMP mean that g_ip may cease
> to be able to handle on demand audio?

Hi Andrew :-)

 Although currently the flashaac modes are the default
for AOD fetches by GiP, tag version 2.92 already
supports the downloading of AOD in the form of
AppleHLS streams - the flashaac modes use rtmpdump,
while the hlsaac modes use ffmpeg (or avconv).

First try:

get_iplayer --type=radio --pid=b05vcz8h --modes=flashaac

and then:

get_iplayer --type=radio --pid=b05vcz8h --modes=hlsaac --force --overwrite

for a comparison... the main drawback being
the hlsaac modes take longer to complete...

AppleHLS as a delivery method will be here for quite a while, I guess...
If they switch AOD-RTMP to exclusively AOD-AdobeHDS, then
ffmpeg currently lacks support for it, but already other tools exist that
support it - one ominous fact is that AdobeHDS supports "Adobe Primetime"
DRM encryption, but let's not jinx things yet...
As for MPEG-DASH, I currently am not aware of a tool
that can download such streams, but it being an open source
implementation, I like to be optimistic that one will no doubt
crop up in the future...
So, you can put your mind at ease, at least for now...

Regards,
Vangelis.