Peter Grimes

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Tue May 26 05:34:35 PDT 2015

In article <20150526111732.GB16428 at bytemark.barnyard.co.uk>, David
Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 05:14:33PM +0100, Jim web wrote:

> > [1] All I can dream of now is an HD version of Britten conducting the
> > War Requiem. That'd be great. Realise it's a fantasy, though. But
> > maybe they'll repeat the Billy Budd which was broadcast before I
> > started using gip! :-)

> That was a broadcast of the Glyndebourne production wasn't it? There's a
> DVD available in Glyndebourne's online shop if that's any help.

Yes. Thanks. However I must admit my interest in commercial DVD for
classical music dwindled when the lazy media companies largely stopped
releasing 'pal' <sic> format and adopted a single-format blanket 'ntsc'
<sic again> approach, reducing even more the resolution. Crazy situation
when even *European* concerts and operas became available only as 'ntsc'
when they'd been broadcast initially as 'pal'. In some cases I watched the
'pal' versions evaporate from catalogues as the companies ceased to
re-press copies because they didn't want the bother of 'double inventory'.
So I tended to get out of the habit, but I'll have a look.

FWIW I captured the HDTV broadcast from DVB-T2, but missed the first few
mins. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a repeat. That'd also be useful
as a DVB-T2 vs iplayer comparison.

BTW The Peter Grimes has 'enforced' subtitiles so I wonder if this was what
prompted the need for the metadata switch. I've not checked the file
details, but also am wondering if I can switch off the subtitles.

Jim