Refresher Requested on MPEG4 Container and AtomicParsley

Budgie ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Wed Jul 29 04:38:19 PDT 2015

On 29/07/15 11:36, Kevin Lynch wrote:
> Budgie
>
>  From reading through this thread and it's explanation of the legacy
> mp3 creation process. I think it's clear the best approach is to put
> these files through something like winff and regenerate the mp3.
> To better understand the scope of what's involved. How many files do
> you have? How much disk space do they currently use?
> If you can upload an example of the media to a network file sharing
> service (google drive/drop box) on a private link (smallest file
> example that exhibits the issue) and share the access url with the
> group. We can see which winff/ffmpeg parameters do the quickest
> regeneration while maintaining the essence.
> I had a look at  https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#Detailed-description
> and it shows the process you will want to use for "fixing the mp3"
> files.
> Although https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#Stream-copy is used to change
> the container eg mkv->mp4 and I don't think that process will generate
> the index marks needed for the mp3 to be able to scrub around
> Kevin

[snip]

Hi Kevin,
Many thanks for your kind offer and it may be I have to post a couple of
files eventually but I am loath to ask others to do what I should be
able to do myself so will hold off taking up your kind offer just now.

One thing though, I am not sure where .mp3 entered this thread but my
files which are the subject of my problems, damaged or broken, are GiP
downloads of Radio 3 music in .m4a containers.

I did have some queries about podcasts which used to come as .mp3s and
now do not, but these are spoken word and my setup has been OK
throughout these recent BBC changes.
Thanks again,
Budge.