Requests For Features

Budgie ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Sat Jul 25 03:28:36 PDT 2015

On 22/07/15 09:33, Jim web wrote:
> In article <55AE85BF.6070408 at errichel.co.uk>, Budgie
> <ajebay at errichel.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> The business about the time stamp reference is because I have a number
>> of radio gip downloads that were messed up due to an error with my set
>> up a couple of years back.  As a result these play from start to finish
>> but I cannot fast forward to any point mid programme.
>
> I've encountered similar symptoms from files captured with a DVB-T2
> 'dongle'. (i.e. from UHF broadcasts rather than iplayer). I don't know the
> specifics of your case but can make two points that may help.
>
> 1) It may depend on the software you use to play the files. (This means the
> version of the software and its settings as well as the type.)
>
> I use VLC. Changing its settings can affect this. I can't recall off-hand
> what setting I got to fix a similar problem, and am busy now, so may report
> that later.
>
> 2) You may find that simply passing the file though ffmpeg or avconv adds
> in sequential timestamps. i.e. using
>
> ffmpeg -i infile.<ext> cleanfile.<ext>
>
> ffmpeg will tend to clear up and tidy a stream or file. Note that sometimes
> I've found that one version of ffmpeg/avconv did the trick, but another
> didn't. (This is one reason I tend to keep more than one version to hand!)
>
> Jim

Hi Jim,
I tried this as the simplest place to start and have made no progress.
Also tried using Winff GUI and I think I need guidance on codecs etc. if
you are willing.

To start at the beginning and why this is on GiP list is that all the
problem downloads are from GiP and are BBC 3 classical music downloads
such as The Early Music Show or Opera on 3 and they are mostly "hi fi"
stereo or supposed to be!

The problems I have date from the various times when my GiP setup was
flawed or atomic parsley not installed, all through my ignorance.  They
fall into two categories, those that play but must be played from
beginning to end (no time markers,) and those which do not play at all
and stall the control app.   (I am using BubbleDS control app and Linn
Majik renderer playing files served by Minimserver from NAS.)

The files are delivered by my GiP setup as .m4a files and there is no
video but there is usually a thumbnail and useful metadata about the
particular recording which I would like to retain.

The simple command with ffmpeg you gave above halved the size of the
file but it would not play.  I tried various other variations, some
using winff GUI but none worked.

If you or others have time I would appreciate some further help and it
may be appreciated if I went off group or started a new thread until I
can announce success!