Paywall for iPlayer?

Dave Liquorice allsorts at howhill.com
Tue Jul 7 05:39:32 PDT 2015

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 13:06:38 +0100, michael norman wrote:

>> Yes but what about people who never ever watch TV at all.  There are
>> some, believe it or not - my parents for instance.  They have computers
>> and internet, but why should they pay a charge for something they will
>> never use,

That is a problem but sort of worked around if you call it a "Media Licence"
that is it gives the household the ability to legally view any media from
any source. Be that Netflix, 4OD, YouTube or, at the extreme, the
graphics/still images that make up a web page.

>> just because they have some equipment (whose primary purpose is not for
>> accessing TV!) which theoretically could access on demand content.

It's not that long ago that the possession of "receiving apparatus" was
enough to trigger the requirement to hold a TV Licence.

>> How will you differentiate between those who don't and those who say they
>> don't?

Just get the ISPs to report those customers that access "media" sites? Or
just extend the current regulations relating to copyright infringement.

> There are many people mostly I guess a bit younger than your parents who
> don't watch live tv or even want to do so.  What do they watch ?  Netflix
> Amazon tv (to give two examples amongst many) both of which they have to
> pay for

But at least that is their choice. I don't watch commercial TV stations but
I still pay for them and the shareholder dividends etc, even those that
don't have any ability to watch any TV still pay.

--
Cheers
Dave.