Paywall for iPlayer?

michael norman michaeltnorman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 10:56:48 PDT 2015

>> Mike
>>
> Some real anti-BBC comments being posted on the forums. While I think
> the BBC can be pretty arrogant as an organisation (for example when
> dealing with complaints) I'm a great supporter of PBS broadcasting and I
> think the range and quality of programmes produced by the Corporation is
> just astounding, especially when compared to some of the dross put out
> by the Commercial channels. Having spent a fair bit of time abroad in
> recent years, I've not come across a broadcaster which can even come
> close to rivalling the BBC whether it's radio or TV. I've never had any
> dealings with the BBC other than as a viewer so I cannot comment on
> whether it's top-heavy with management, etc.
>
> For me, the licence fee is excellent value for money - not a day goes by
> without me referring to the BBC website, reading news etc, ditto
> listening to radio and viewing TV.  And the iPlayer is now providing the
> type of TV I dreamed about 20 years ago (knocking spots off ITV's
> offering) and, of course, get_iplayer is an invaluable bolt-on. I do
> think the loophole that allows viewers to watch TV output online (as
> long as it's not live) does need to be plugged. I'm more than happy to
> pay the licence fee and would hate any move towards subscriptions fees
> whether it's for TV or iPlayer access, equally I would be against any
> move to make any of the BBC channels to carry commercials.
>
> Alan

Agreed, fortunately without having had to experience being abroad
without the BBC.

The crucial point I was trying to make in the context of this list was
and is how does the bbc plug what they perceive as the iPlayer gap.  Its
ironic that iPlayer is streets ahead technically of all the other catch
up services, particularly ITVs offering, aside from anything about
quality content the BBC started the whole thing and have made it work.

What happens next ? I don't know, I fear the worst.

Mike