Unable To Download

Alan Milewczyk alan at soulman1949.com
Sun Jul 5 16:05:19 PDT 2015

On 05/07/2015 23:03, Lewis Croll wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>

> Thanks for your assistance!
>
> The exact line I entered was 'get_iplayer --pid=p02tw8xk' & that's strange as I'm also on windows 7 & x64bit too.
>
> As for 'alternative modes', how do I use these? I don't know if a tv mode is set in preferences, where should I be checking for this?
>
> As you have probably noticed, my knowledge is limited on this kind of thing!
>
> Cheers,
> Lewis

Hi Lewis (and Steve)

Yes Steve, you're right, I missed the Command Line instruction!

You can set modes from the Command Line for example:

	get_iplayer --modes=best --pid=p02tw8xk

This will download the "best" version available for the programme, HD if
available, otherwise SD.

or

	get_iplayer --modes=flashhd --pid=p02tw8xk

This will download the HD version of the programme, if available. The
only problem is, that if you specify this and there is only a Standard
Definition version available, then the system will return the error
message you have seen. For this reason, I favour using the "best" mode.

To check the preferences you need to go to your user folder (if you've
followed the default installation then it will be located in the
"c:\users\xxxxx\.get_iplayer" folder. You will see a file there called
"options" which can be opened using a text editor such as Notepad. That
will show you relevant entries (if any) which specify a default download
mode. I know it takes some wading through but it's worth looking at the
Documentation at https://squarepenguin.co.uk/wiki/documentation/. This
gives you the full low down on the many options available, the relevant
section to look at is "Saving Settings".

In the meantime, try

	get_iplayer --modes=best --pid=p02tw8xk

and see how you get on.

All the best.