Server/Workstation PVR install

Topsy topsy at tesco.net
Mon Feb 16 16:05:36 PST 2015

I had fun at the weekend when I finally installed the Web PVR having
been used to the CLI implementation of G_iP.

Firstly, my config is that I d/l and store any media files on a server
called 'myth' that sits under the telly in the lounge. This server runs
Fedora 21, with httpd installed and has a fqdn so is accessible from the
'net. It's main task is to monitor a pair of freeview receivers and
record off air progs that aren't on a BBC channel. I normally access it
using ssh and sftp from one of my laptops or tablets and can stream
content into VLC with ease, even away from home.

Normally I do not log directly in to myth and just leave it from boot
untouched (reboot once a week or longer) so any daemon has to be run as
root as part of the OS start and can't be run in a user shell. I might
however run the CLI install as a user (or root) via ssh and would want
access to the same download history,

So, after a few fits, starts and too many reboots I have the PVR running
monitoring the fixed LAN address not localhost to enable remote access.
I'm not sure if using the domain name would work? The G-iP config files
are stored in shared folder with symbolic links to the normal
~/.get_iplayer folder.

On my laptop, or tablet, I can therefore access the server's IP address
(port 1935) and access the PVR. All seems to be running okay and
downloads are going to the correct folder on a 3TB drive.

So, apart from trying the domain name method, for full external access,
is there anything else I could do? My thanks, as ever, to the developers
of this awesome package.

Topsy