BBC Dropping MP3 and garbled downloads ....

Christopher Woods christopher at custommade.org.uk
Fri Feb 13 11:34:14 PST 2015

On 2015-02-13 15:25, CJB wrote:
> I am alarmed to learn that after dropping MP3 or for whatever reason
> some downloads from the Beeb are garbled due to defective encoding at
> the Beeb's end of things. Is this a serious problem and are their
> patterns of occurrences?

Listening to http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050rjwr (from about 6mins
in) the solo singing does definitely have audio problems.

What initially threw me off was that piece of music is clearly a dodgy
transfer from whatever it was originally recorded to -- possibly
transferred from tape; there's midrange distortion, excessive background
his and some weird phasing which isn't present in the Presenter
microphone when she talks. It may just be a poor quality source file for
the song.

Picking another random point - 22:00, I started listening and
everything sounded fine for about five minutes, then I heard more
pops...

... Then as I wrote another email, I listened to both the MP3 and AAC
Radio 3 on-demand streams, and sadly they're replete with audio
glitches. I'll see what I can do.

If people have examples of other on-demand programmes with obvious
audio problems, please pass them on.

> On another tack is there any way of capturing the output file to the
> PVM Command Window when using the web-based PVM? When things go wrong
> such as an interrupted download and consequent imperfect restart, I'd
> like to be able to view a log file and do a manual download of any
> that failed.
>
> Thanks for all your efforts to keep GiP working.
>
> Chris B.

CustomMade