[offtopic] Re: Recent spam surge...

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Thu Apr 9 05:32:57 PDT 2015

In article <20150409121319.GT21613 at symphytum.spacehopper.org>, Stuart
Henderson <stu at spacehopper.org> wrote:

> On 2015/04/09 10:16, Jim web wrote:
> > Well, my experience is also that almost all the email lists I use do
> > require the posters to register and be approved as a block against
> > spamming, etc.

> "block" is the wrong word. "mild deterrent" perhaps. With the amount of
> spam recently being sent by complex methods such as stolen or guessed
> webmail or smtp-authentication credentials, requiring a sign-up to post
> to a mailing list (which can be accepted automatically *very* easily) is
> hardly going to get in the way.

Yes, if you lock your doors people can still break in via your windows. But
not everyone uses that as a reason to leave their street door unlocked. :-)

>  And like some others (including I think the list owner), I very often
> find that requiring signups to post gets in the way and does little to
> avoid either spam or some of the other (far more time-draining)
> worthless posts.

Which simply shows the selection effect I mentioned. People who are
deterred by the way this list operates won't be giving their view here.
People who are happy with it, will.

Its a bit like going into a pub and asking how many people there have
killed themselves by drunken driving.  None of them will say they have. ;->

However I'm quite happy to leave this where it is because I know many
people's minds are already made up on their own views.

Jim