Solutions to loss of RSS feed

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Oct 31 16:18:36 PDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-10-31 at 23:12 +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2014/10/31 21:21, Rob Dixon wrote:
> > - Write a new application that uses the Nitro API, ostensibly to provide
> > a different and more flexible way of viewing the BBC schedule, but
> > capable of exporting the information for use in get_iplayer. This could
> > even reconstruct the old XML RSS feeds, but I don't see a reason to add
> > such an awkward intermediate format.
> >
> > This last option seems to me to be the most likely to succeed. I have
> > applied for a licence for my own use and I shall be experimenting with
> > what is possible. After some experimentation I will be glad to add an
> > export along the lines I have described, to be specified by those
> > responsible for get_iplayer.
>
> Whether or not this could export something that would be useful to
> get_iplayer, it would be useful in itself. I've certainly used get_iplayer
> a few times to look for programmes of interest because the search facilities
> are....slightly better than the BBC's website ;)... and then gone to watch
> them using a BBC-Approved Method.

I think this approach is best. Let's have a clean separation between the
code which can actually download media (which get_iplayer can still do
given a PID), and the code for searching/indexing.

There's no reason to object to the latter in a standalone tool. Hell,
make it output links to the official BBC iPlayer site or automatically
spawn them in a browser.

Just let us configure which 'browser' it should invoke, and then nobody
needs to lose sleep over the fact that *some* people might actually use
it to invoke the new, slimline, get_iplayer instead of a real browser.

--
dwmw2