We should be grateful ( was Re: A message from Auntie )

Peter S Kirk peter.kirk at isauk.biz
Fri Oct 31 14:58:27 PDT 2014

On 31 Oct 2014 at 10:53, Owen Smith Owen Smith <owen.smith at cantab.net>
wrote:

> But BBC iPlayer Download insists I play the download on my PC. That's useless to me, my laptop has a small screen and
> isn't connected to my surround sound system. With get_iplayer I was copying the downloaded file to my Freeview PVR and
> playing it on my TV from there which worked well. There is no equivalent from the BBC. I can't stream iPlayer live, my
> broadband is too slow.
>
> The BBC have effectively driven me to look elsewhere to even more dubious methods of accessing their content by
> preventing get_iplayer working.

Exactly the same here - broadband too slow to stream despite being
20Mbs/1Mbs. I use GiP to download to PC then watch it on TV from USB memory
stick

I also share the downloaded, especially BBC NI, programmes with my mother
so she can watch on her TV. We're both in UK and she has a "smart" TV, but
finds it too difficult to navigate (she's 74). Hence, BBC iPlayer has one
view rather than two for all the programmes we both want to watch. Add a
third as I often share the BBC NI with my bother (also in UK) too. Thus 1/2
or 1/3 bandwidth BBC pay for if we all stre... buffering stream..
buffering streame. buffering streamed.

The BBC quote "The iPlayer team continues to work hard to maximise access
to iPlayer across a wide range of platforms and devices." really sticks in
the throat when they have disabled several platforms by these changes.

I'm visiting mum tomorrow and will try to remember to test if her two Sony
smart TVs still work with BBC iPlayer.

Cheers,

Peter

15GB + 5GB bonus Free cloud storage, no credit card details required:
https://copy.com?r=VnqHxA   5GB bonus for both for using referal link

Cloud storage space and app provided by https://www.barracuda.com
Files are stored on Barracuda's own servers, not amazon/aws or other third
party as most including Dropbox use