A message from Auntie

Mark Carroll mtbc at ixod.org
Fri Oct 31 13:02:38 PDT 2014

Paul Oldham <paul at the-hug.org> writes:

> On 31/10/14 02:55, Dave Ford wrote:
>
>> As posted on the BBC Internet blog - from Jon Billings:
>>
>> 'In particular, the BBC does not sanction XBMC, get_iplayer or similar
>> clients, and the iPlayer RSS feeds were never designed or intended to
>> support them. Nitro will almost certainly not support their ways of
>> working. We realise this comes as unwelcome news to users of these clients.
>> The iPlayer team continues to work hard to maximise access to iPlayer
>> across a wide range of platforms and devices.'
>
> You've got to love the way these guys can't see any contradiction
> between that last sentence and what went before it. Sigh.

Absolutely! I hope that get_iplayer users complain directly to the BBC
and/or the BBC Trust or suchlike too though rather than just here. After
all, we're (mostly, probably?) licence fee payers and the BBC is
supposed to be /serving the UK public/, not behaving like some private
corporate media provider for whom the most important thing is to control
their branding or some other such nonsense.

E-mail's perhaps a good analogy: the client I'm using now, anybody was
able to write because of the open standards, and I got to choose one
that was right for me, it is not like the people originally behind
e-mail even had to fund my e-mail software's development! And everything
is better for that being so.

-- Mark