[ANN] get_iplayer 2.87 released

Nick get_iplayer at i.lucanops.net
Mon Oct 20 11:23:21 PDT 2014

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:01:23 +0100
dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Right, I've fixed it properly now, I think :) I've uncommented the
> > line so the perl script is stock, but then in Leafpad clicked file,
> > save-as, and changed the text encoding to be UTF8 (it was ISO
> > 8859-15).
>
> This is the nub of it.  As I said, the encoding is actually changed
> during self-update.  Any decent text editor should be able to switch
> it back.

Got it now. Not just looking at the line to see what was up before
reporting the issue didn't help, sorry for being a bit dumb :)

Now I've had a proper wade in out of my depth.... the update uses a
specific user agent to make the update URL provide the current release
of get_iplayer? The odd entries in your httpd logs will be me trying to
figure out if the web server is saying the text format is ISO-8859-15,
or if it is when perl writes the file (something I would probably
struggle to figure out).

I'd like to say cheers for the plentiful comments in the code, that
does help the perl-blind :)

Nick