[ANN] get_iplayer 2.87 released

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 06:01:23 PDT 2014

On 20/10/2014 13:09, Nick wrote:
> I did have a look at the line and it looks OK to me.... a non-perl
> programmer :) The copyright symbol is there and visible in a text
> editor (Leafpad)..... but looking at the file in a terminal with less
> and the copyright symbol shows as <A9>, with inverted colours!

That reflects the fact that the character was re-encoded into Latin1
when it was written to disk, so you're looking at a properly-encoded
copyright symbol.  That re-encoding bug is in get_iplayer.

> Right, I've fixed it properly now, I think :) I've uncommented the line
> so the perl script is stock, but then in Leafpad clicked file, save-as,
> and changed the text encoding to be UTF8 (it was ISO 8859-15).

This is the nub of it.  As I said, the encoding is actually changed
during self-update.  Any decent text editor should be able to switch it
back.

> The file command still sees the get_iplayer script file as ASCII, so
> I'm still a bit confused, but at least there isn't the malformed byte
> message anymore:

I don't think the file utility scans to the end of the file so wouldn't
pick up that one UTF-8 char.

> No idea if this byte message is occurring for other people, or how much
> it matters, but hopefully what I have said is useful.

I'll probably both fix the bug and remove the UTF-8 from the script
source.  Otherwise it will be two more releases before it works properly
again.