iplayer audio to lpcm

Dave Liquorice allsorts at howhill.com
Wed Nov 12 13:28:44 PST 2014

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 09:52:46 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf wrote:

>> <cough> False assumption that there is only one mix leaving site... or
>> even that the same mics are being used across the different services.
>> Particulary for broadcasts on BBC1/2, not so sure what happens for BBC4.
>
> < cough syrup :-) > I know from measurement and from discussions with some
> involved that for the Proms on BBC4TV they use the R3 feed for the music.
> BBC1/2TV do their own things, though. At times, that shows up clearly in
> terms of things like reduced dynamic range on BBC1/2.

I more than half expected you to know all that already. B-)  Long gone are
the days of a pair of analogue music lines leaving site through a spider
filled and corroded GPO block terminal then to have some hefty line
equalisation applied. Always amused me that the "golden ears" would worry
about mono directional oxygen free crystal orientated interconnect cables...

> Some quite subtle differences can crop up at times. <pun alert!> e.g.
> the 'time travel' I found one year. The best guess we reached for it
> was the presence of asynch resamplers in a chain.

Of course one swaps one set of "problems" for an other. Now we have magic
boxes interpreting meta data that can be altered by a rogue magic box
enroute which then confuses everybody. Even routine OB's have multiple feeds
leaving site, generally embedded but not always (which leads to even greater
fun with sync).

And all this is orgination, well before transmission/distribution for
DTTV/DSAT/Streams/iPlayer get their sticky fingers on it.  B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.