iplayer audio to lpcm

Jim Lesurf jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 04:50:43 PST 2014

> Something possibly relevant "avconv Used in Preference to ffmpeg Where
> Available" changed in 2.83; see notes at:
> https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/wiki/release283

> and also changes in 2.87 "Important note re: obsolete FFmpeg versions":
> (also for avconv) - see:
> https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/wiki/release287

I've now looked at the above. I'm not clear if they matter for my purposes
as I'm *not* using ffmpeg as a 'client' for get_iplayer to produce a
converted result for me when it downloads. If you think it matters for the
below, please let me know...

I'm having get_iplayer provide me with an flv to represent the raw data
that gets fed by the BBC system to the flash player in the 'official
receiver' - i.e. the flash plugin that a browser like FireFox will use when
playing in the 'BBC approved' manner. I'm after what gets fed into the
Flash player as it represents the audio data the BBC want me to have for
their official method to use.

What I will then do is use ffmpeg (and/or other programs) to generate a
seperate LPCM file for analysis.

FWIW the ffmpeg I'm using at present is

version N-65311-...  dated as a 6th Aug 2014 build.

I'm actually using it from a user dir to keep it distinct from any system
version of avcodec.

Jim