Live TV pining for the fjords

michael norman michaeltnorman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 05:35:06 PST 2014

On 09/11/14 13:01, Jim Lesurf wrote:
> In article <545F5658.3030700 at gmail.com>, michael norman
> <michaeltnorman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 09/11/14 10:27, Jim Lesurf wrote:
>

>>> FWIW I've just written an 'opinion' column for Hi Fi News magazine
>>> about the way the BBC dropped the feeds and raising the general issue
>

>> Have you put it on your own website ?
>
> No/not yet. Alas, complicated situation due to the good old 'rights' issue.
> :-/
>
> The arrangement I have with them is that they publish my monthly column and
> an occasional 'feature'. But on the basis that they have 'first publication
> rights, and then non-exclusive' for any writing that goes into the
> magazine. Its as close as I can get to free/open with a commercial consumer
> mag of this kind.
>
> *After* a delay (typically six months or more) I can put it on the web
> because it now won't interfere with selling the relevant issue. They can
> also reprint it if they wish. But this means I have to avoid treading on
> their toes before magazine publication. Wouldn't be fair to sell it to
> them, then let all potential magazine buyers read it free somewhere else
> first.
>
> For some topics I can/may write a much longer item for the website covering
> the same ground. Sometimes I can then put that up *before* the column in
> the mag and reference readers to it. The justification is a mix of 'too
> long for the mag' and 'too technical and will deter/annoy the less clued up
> readers'.
>
> So something longer than the column may appear on the web. But can't say
> what or when. I don't know enough of the detailed technical background to
> the recent 'feeds' kerfuffle anyway at present to say much about that. That
> said, at present two other topics are competing for top-of-the-list as a
> long web item.
>
> FWIW I know one or two people at the BBC so may try to find out something.
> But if so I can't say who, or exactly what they said without their specific
> agreement. Wouldn't be fair on them, and would lose me the ability to have
> them talk to me or co-operate on some things.
>

>> I have that bookmarked great stuff
>> btw.
>
>> If so might be worth posting that link here.
>
>> A lot will happen in 3-4 months.
>
> If anyone knows what, when, please say. :-)
>
> FWIW sometimes items can be put in as 'news'. But alas the long production
> cycle of the mag tends to mean they are 'old news' by the time the print
> mag appears. I'd love the mag to have their own list, but no-one is
> interested there as they're over-busy anyway!
>
> BTW wrt mag rights. I did once almost have something in the 'linux format'
> magazine. (User guide to ALSA.) The editor liked the item and wanted to
> publish it. But his publishers insisted on 'all rights, exclusive'. i.e. I
> could never publish it on the web or elsewhere. I declined as most people
> lose access to printed mags once 99% of the issues are landfill. Put it on
> [...]

Jim

I suspected when I asked the question that your relationship with HFN
might be as you describe.

Bit OT here but I used to get all the printed Hi Fi Mags back in the
day, but like everybody else I just read such things online.  A complete
other discussion not appropriate here but I'd put in a personal plug for
Stereophile on line.

My problem in the context of this debate is that you appear to have
something to say and I and others can't read it.

Mike