Live TV pining for the fjords

Jim Lesurf jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk
Sun Nov 9 05:01:51 PST 2014

In article <545F5658.3030700 at gmail.com>, michael norman
<michaeltnorman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/11/14 10:27, Jim Lesurf wrote:

> > FWIW I've just written an 'opinion' column for Hi Fi News magazine
> > about the way the BBC dropped the feeds and raising the general issue

> Have you put it on your own website ?

No/not yet. Alas, complicated situation due to the good old 'rights' issue.
:-/

The arrangement I have with them is that they publish my monthly column and
an occasional 'feature'. But on the basis that they have 'first publication
rights, and then non-exclusive' for any writing that goes into the
magazine. Its as close as I can get to free/open with a commercial consumer
mag of this kind.

*After* a delay (typically six months or more) I can put it on the web
because it now won't interfere with selling the relevant issue. They can
also reprint it if they wish. But this means I have to avoid treading on
their toes before magazine publication. Wouldn't be fair to sell it to
them, then let all potential magazine buyers read it free somewhere else
first.

For some topics I can/may write a much longer item for the website covering
the same ground. Sometimes I can then put that up *before* the column in
the mag and reference readers to it. The justification is a mix of 'too
long for the mag' and 'too technical and will deter/annoy the less clued up
readers'.

So something longer than the column may appear on the web. But can't say
what or when. I don't know enough of the detailed technical background to
the recent 'feeds' kerfuffle anyway at present to say much about that. That
said, at present two other topics are competing for top-of-the-list as a
long web item.

FWIW I know one or two people at the BBC so may try to find out something.
But if so I can't say who, or exactly what they said without their specific
agreement. Wouldn't be fair on them, and would lose me the ability to have
them talk to me or co-operate on some things.

> I have that bookmarked great stuff
> btw.

> If so might be worth posting that link here.

> A lot will happen in 3-4 months.

If anyone knows what, when, please say. :-)

FWIW sometimes items can be put in as 'news'. But alas the long production
cycle of the mag tends to mean they are 'old news' by the time the print
mag appears. I'd love the mag to have their own list, but no-one is
interested there as they're over-busy anyway!

BTW wrt mag rights. I did once almost have something in the 'linux format'
magazine. (User guide to ALSA.) The editor liked the item and wanted to
publish it. But his publishers insisted on 'all rights, exclusive'. i.e. I
could never publish it on the web or elsewhere. I declined as most people
lose access to printed mags once 99% of the issues are landfill. Put it on
the web instead. Fortunately, I don't write for a living, so can choose to
do so. I write because I'm interested in something and hope/think others
may also be interested.

That shows that although it may seem resitrictive, HFN have been pretty
decent compared to many mags.

Jim