Your message to get_iplayer awaits moderator approval

Jonathan Larmour jifl at jifvik.org
Sat Nov 8 16:51:59 PST 2014

On 08/11/14 21:08, C E Macfarlane wrote:
> As requested in the original thread, I've created three patch files.
>
> 1)	This patches get_iplayer v2.90 to use nice with the parameter -n 19,
> which by effectively making it run in the background compared with processes
> such as serving files, makes it more suitable for embedded devices acting as
> file servers, Depending on how the server's OS itself is configures,
> hopefully will at least prevent stuttering in most cases, though serving HD
> video may still struggle:
> 	www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/get_iplayer-nice-2-90.patch
>
> The part of the program finding external programs has had to be rewritten to
> use nice,

If you want that, why wouldn't you just start get_iplayer with nice anyway?
i.e. nice -19 get_iplayer ....

Also you don't need to worry about nice-ing the external programs. They always
inherit the nice value of their parents, so if get_iplayer is started with a
nice level of 19, all the subprocesses will be too.

Jifl