PATCH addition of /usr/local/bin/ in 'get_iplayer.cgi'

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 01:31:10 PST 2014

On 6 November 2014 09:18, Owen Smith <owen.smith at cantab.net> wrote:
> To give more detail, I meant create a branch, check the file out, test your change, check change in to your own branch, then send details of the branch to the master maintainers to see if they want to accept the change (which seems to be a git pull request or similar), and if they do they merge that branch back in. I wouldn't expect anyone, even dinkypumpkin, to do day to day work on the top level master codestream.
>
> But patches seem so backwards. Source control systems do the job so much better.

As I said, only certain people have commit access to the master repo,
so only they can create a branch on the master repo.  What you
describe is exactly how one does it, but on ones locally cloned git
repo, then once it is all working git will format the patch for you
that someone with commit rights can easily apply.  If everyone had
rights to the master, even just committing to a branch, imagine what
someone with evil intent could do.  They could, for example, swell the
repo to massive size by committing GBs of rubbish.

I suggest you read up on git and how it used with distributed projects.

Colin