Do I need a TV licence?

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at skimble.plus.com
Wed Nov 5 10:31:41 PST 2014

When I was reading round this subject I found this -

You do not need a UK TV licence to use "get-iplayer". You only need
a TV licence if you are recording TV programmes as they are being shown on
TV. This is from the TV licensing website -

"The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or
record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on
TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes
and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or
record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if
you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch
'catch up' services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD."

Source -
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/how-to-tell-us-you-dont-watch-tv-top12

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.4.1.0