Information Overload on GiP Changes

Tom madtom1999 at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 1 03:59:14 PDT 2014

On 31/10/14 23:11, Budgie wrote:
> First my grateful thanks for the massive amount of work which
> dinkypumpkin and others have put into GiP.  I have made constant use of
> --pvr facility, mainly for radio, over the last two years and am most
> grateful for the work which has brought my family and me a great deal of
> pleasure.  I too am deeply troubled by the loss of this facility.
>
> I have been following the fast moving discussion and developments of
> fall back options but regret have not been able to keep up.  In fact I
> am left at starting gate.  Please could somebody point me to where I can
> find out what exactly is Nitro API and where does it fit in with BBC.
>
> Also I see references to JSON.  OK, JavaScript Object Notation but what
> does it mean to me and where does it fit in with GiP and BBC.  I
> thought, in my ignorance, that JavaScript was going the way of the brown
> ball.  Certainly I get grave warnings when it is used or fails to work
> on the web management interface of my L2 managed switch.
>
> Hope to learn more in due course and with help.
> Regards,
> Budgie

Just to defend JavaScript - it is a perfectly capable language that in
the hands of a programmer can produce some fantastic results. Its main
problem is MS/Apple/Adobe who all joined the ECMA committee to try and
stop it being developed properly so their products could be sold instead
of it. Their efforts have mostly failed (JS2 would have been really
handy tho) but they did manage to convince a lot of people that somehow
JavaScript was a bad language - and like any other programming language
you can write rubbish programs with it and as many people do, and
everyone in the world can see it, it gets the blame when its really MS
who sold the lie that 'computing' was easy that should get a good kicking.
Tom