Problems with colons in searches

JB Caruth jbc-public at caruth.com
Thu May 22 09:10:41 PDT 2014

I'm running the latest get_iplayer (from git) on Raspbian (Raspberry
Pi) and seeing issues with searches containing colons (:).

Adding the currently broadcasting "Coast Australia" as a series record
using the web PVR creates a search file with the content:

> search0 ^Coast\: Coast Australia$

Running this search view --pvr returns no hits.

A manual search for the same regex from an SSH session returns a lot
of hits - for example:

> $ ./get_iplayer ^Coast: Coast Australia$
> get_iplayer v2.86, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
>   This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
>   This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
>   conditions; use --conditions for details.
> Matches:
> 901: tv, Coast: Series 4 Reversions - 23. Anglesey, BBC Two, Factual,Nature & Environment,Science & Nature,TV, default
> 902: tv, Coast: Series 5 Reversions - 18. Burnham Thorpe to London, BBC Two, Factual,Nature & Environment,Science & Nature,TV, default
> 903: tv, Coast: Series 5 Reversions - 30. Hull to London, BBC Two, Factual,Nature & Environment,Science & Nature,TV, default
> 904: tv, Coast: Series 6 - 1. London to Antwerp, BBC Two, Factual,Nature & Environment,Science & Nature,TV, default
> 905: tv, Coast: Series 6 - 2. Devon and Cornwall, BBC Two, Factual,Nature & Environment,Science & Nature,TV, default
> 906: tv, Coast: Series 6 - 3. The Netherlands, BBC Two, Factual,Nature & Environment,Science & Nature,TV, default
> 907: tv, Coast: Series 6 - 4. Western Isles and Shetland, BBC Two, Factual,Nature & Environment,Science & Nature,TV, default
> 908: tv, Coast: Series 7 - 3. The Hidden History of Harbours, BBC Two, Factual,Nature & Environment,Science & Nature,TV, default
> 909: tv, Coast - Coast Australia: 1. The Kimberley, BBC Two, Audio Described,Factual,Nature & Environment,Science & Nature,TV, default,audiodescribed
> 910: tv, Coast - Coast Australia: 2. Sydney, BBC Two, Audio Described,Factual,Highlights,Nature & Environment,Science & Nature,TV, default,audiodescribed,

A manual search without the \ before the : returns similar results.

Any ideas why this PVR search is not finding the correct programmes or
why the manual search is finding too many?

It seems that PVR searches for series names containing colons are
often problematic in my setup.

Thanks for any assistance.