FW: Incompleate downloads creating mp4

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 07:15:28 EDT 2014

On 26/03/2014 08:17, Dave Widgery wrote:
> Finally Peter, I have had a look at the --raw switch and I am not sure how
> this will help, unless I have misunderstood this will leave all my downloads
> in the format xxx-partial.mp4.flv whether they have successfully downloaded
> or not, at least at the moment I know that the xxx-partial.mp4.flv haven’t
> downloaded correctly and the ones converted to mp4 might have downloaded
> correctly.

As you say, --raw won't help you.  Your problem is that your connections
are being dropped, most likely by your VPN.  Others have had the same
problem.  But rtmpdump can't always detect that a stream was dropped.
And when rtmpdump exits without error, get_iplayer doesn't know any
different.  Skip --raw and let ffmpeg re-mux the .flv file as normal.
The output from ffmpeg contains the duration of the input file, which
should tell you whether or not the file is complete.

> Is there a way of finding out the predicted download size so I can compare
> it with the resultant file?

Estimated mode sizes can be viewed with --info, but don't bother.  The
estimates can be off by 10%.  There is a nominal duration value in the
--info output that is usually more accurate, but then you already know
how long the programme should be.