Confused Newbie

Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Fri Mar 7 05:39:51 EST 2014

Barrie Avis <barrie.avis at gmail.com> wrote:

>I am clearly just a confused Newbie and I just cannot see the
>big picture of what I am doing. Although I have used Windows for
>many years, I am totally new to the Pi, Linux and Raspbian
>
>I want to run the BBC iPlayer on my new Raspberry Pi.

Is that possible?  (I don't know.)

>I have been trying to follow the instructions that are in
>http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/html/get_iplayer.html
>
> I downloaded get_iplayer onto my laptop (running Windows 7) and installed
> it. I then followed the instructions under Command Line Interface (CLI)
> and got a CLI that ended up with a prompt C:\Program Files\get_iplayer>
> but do not understand what to do next.

The purpose of get_iplayer is not to "get (the) iplayer", but instead to get
sound (radio) and video (tv) files from the BBC website using get_iplayer
instead of the BBC's downloader.

But you say below that you already have BBC iPlayer installed on your
laptop, which suggests (if you are happy with what it does) that you don't
need get_iplayer as well.

>Moving now to my Raspberry Pi:-

> it says "Paste these five lines into a terminal window" Thes following
> lines start with "sudo bash etc." so seem to be things I should be putting
> into raspbian on the Pi. But I am on the Windows laptop so don't
> understand how I am to do this. Should there be some way to paste from the
> Laptop into the Pi?

No.  Either: use a browser from the Pi to find the instructions and c&p them
to a terminal window on the Pi, or move the sample commands there on eg a
USB stick, or just type them carefully yourself.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.