Confused Newbie

Barrie Avis barrie.avis at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 05:23:26 EST 2014

I am clearly just a confused Newbie and I just cannot see the
big picture of what I am doing. Although I have used Windows for
many years, I am totally new to the Pi, Linux and Raspbian

I want to run the BBC iPlayer on my new Raspberry Pi.

I have been trying to follow the instructions that are in
http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/html/get_iplayer.html

I downloaded get_iplayer onto my laptop (running Windows 7) and
installed it.
I then followed the instructions under Command Line Interface
(CLI) and got a CLI that ended up with a prompt C:\Program
Files\get_iplayer> but do not understand what to do next.

Next I followed the instructions under Web PVR Manager (WPM)
I got a CLI screen that was the filled with lost of, to me,
gobbledygook. It has not ended in a command prompt and once
again I have no idea what, if anything I should do next.

I also got a new screen on my laptop that offered lost of TV
programmes that I could, it seems, mark to download. Since I
already have BBC iPlayer installed on my laptop and was able to
visit the BBC website and ask for programmes to be downloaded to
iPlayer, I am confused as to why I need this. It does however
look to be better than what I have already so is that the reason
for it?

Moving now to my Raspberry Pi:-
On the Pi I have installed Rasbian (from NOOBS) and after
setting it up, have a command line. But don't know what to do next.

Back on the laptop (Win7) in
http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/html/get_iplayer.html
I now went to the instructions under Linux/Unix ...
Raspbian/Raspberry Pi

Under Command-Line Interface (CLI) ... get_iplayer Repository
Installation
it says "Paste these five lines into a terminal window"
Thes following lines start with "sudo bash etc." so seem to be
things I should be putting into raspbian on the Pi. But I am on
the Windows laptop so don't understand how I am to do this.
Should there be some way to paste from the Laptop into the Pi?

As I said, I just cannot see the big picture of what I am doing.
So can someone help  (in words of one syllable) please?

Thanks

Barrie