Late Junction program query - help please!

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Wed Jan 1 01:02:41 EST 2014

On Wed Jan 01 04:44:11 BST 2013, Richard Mace wrote:

>Yes, I DID do --refresh previously ;)

 Happy New Year, Richard!

If I'm not mistaken,

get_iplayer --refresh

by default refreshes the TV cache only;
seeing that you were after a radio show,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03mnx9g

you should've tried these commands instead:

get_iplayer --type=radio -f --force

or even better:

get_iplayer --type=radio -f --refresh-future --force

>I can stream the program from i-Player (although
>only in SD, not HD)

 If in the UK,
the default stream you get on the (new) iPlayerRadio page
is the HD one, i.e. AAC-LC @320kbpsABR.
If you run a modern browser and an updated version of Flash,
this is what you should get - however, the right-click context menu
is misleading, i.e. it reads:

1.7.5.1330027-SMPFlash
128kbps | RTMP (limelight) | unknown codec | unknown dimension

when, as stated, the stream is in fact 320kbps (this is an exception
only for Radio 3 Listen Again, other National Radios are indeed
128kbps....).

so, SD=HD.

In the new iPlayerRadio Page, I do not see a setting to fall back to the
LD stream (HE-AACv2 @48kbpsVBR) - this is present only in the (old)
iplayer page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03mnx9g

in the "Lower Bandwidth" selection, down on the left - If you click on that,
the page is refreshed and the setting is turned to "Normal Bandwidth";
the flash player streams the LD version, rc context menu now reads:

EMP v.3.0.0.r617463_618125_4
b03mnx98 | 48kbps | aac | LI 4.0 (1) | 512x288

 However, a cookie is set storing your selection - if you do not click on
"Normal Bandwidth" or do not clear cookies, next time you visit an old
iplayer radio show page, the programme will be delivered in the LD
quality...
I have done some quick tests, this cookie does not seem though to affect the
new iPlayerRadio pages. So, while I am not completely sure of the exact
nature
of your issue, I think I have covered every possible scenario :-)

Happy New Year, everyone!
Vangelis.