Massive memory footprint from rtmpdump

Jimmy Aitken jimmy.aitken at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 10:20:12 EST 2014

Environment: Mac 8 i7core, Mountain Lion.

I was running a pvr in the background today, when I noticed the system was
getting sluggish and some spinning pinwheels starting to appear.  I fired
up Activity Monitor and rtmpdump had grabbed 12G of virtual memory and
increasing.  I killed it at the point it was 18G in size, at which time the
Mac began to respond again.

I tried running this again, and it was  "Octonauts - Creature Reports: 6.
The Giant Squid" that was causing the problems of memory usage rocketing.

To try to debug, I started a script and tried one more time without debug
and it worked normally.  The 2nd time I started it off and it carried on
working, and since then I've not been able to reproduce this massive memory
usage again.

Does anyone have any thought as to why this may have started?  I'm now
reticent to leave any jobs running automatically via cron in case this
starts up again, and my machine in unusable when I get back to it.

Thanks,

Jimmy