Winter Olympics live stream recording

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 11:16:16 EST 2014

On 09/02/2014 11:59, Paul Phillips wrote:
> They seem to have done something different since the 2012 olympics,
> there are highlight type programmes on iplayer but they seem to have
> done something very different with the live feeds URLs. I can't figure

Yeah, it is a different system from 2012, at least on the front end.  It
isn't obvious to me how the asset identifiers used in the player page
URLs are translated into stream identifiers.  It may not be discoverable
at all.  Whatever the case, I'm not drunk enough to go rooting through a
pile of minified javascript to find out.

It turns out that there is a hacky way to record the live streams.
First, download a slightly modified version of get_iplayer:

https://raw.github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/olympics/get_iplayer

It's probably a good idea to rename the script to something like
"get_iplayer-olympics".  The get_iplayer modifications are required
because it doesn't interpret playlist URLs in the form below as
referring to live streams, which normally they don't.

Second, find the playlist URL for the live programme.  These
instructions are for Firefox, but other browsers have similar tools.

- Open web console (Web Developer -> Web Console)
- Only the Net tab needs to be selected in web console
- Navigate to player page for live stream
- Click play button to start stream playback
- Once playback begins, click pause button to stop
- In the "Filter output" field in web console, enter "playlist"
- In the filtered list, you should see one or more URLs in this form:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlist/p01qz6sb

- If there is more than one URL in that form, it is the last one you
want to try
- Right click on URL and select "Copy link location"
- Paste the URL as an argument to the modified get_iplayer

get_iplayer-olympics --modes=best
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlist/p01qz6sb