'mv' is not recognized as an internal or external command

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Tue Apr 22 06:14:04 PDT 2014

On 22 April 2014 11:58, Andrew Moore <moore_a at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I don't know if it's significant, but I get all this at the end of the download;
>
> INFO: Recorded C:\Documents and Settings\andy.moore\Desktop\iPlayer Recordings\T
> he_Unbelievable_Truth_Series_13_-_Episode_3_b0415hbl_default.mp3
> INFO: ID3 tagging MP3 file
> 'mv' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> Couldn't rename temporary file C:\Documents and Settings\andy.moore\Desktop\iPla
> yer Recordings/TMPxx0.tmp
>
> along with a file called "TMPxx0.tmp" @ 28127kb
> The downloaded mp3 is fine though, plays ok etc.

(this problem is unrelated to the rest of the thread in which it was posted)

what seems to be happening is that the MP3 tagging library (MP3::Tag)
can't rename its temporary file to replace the mp3 file that was
downloaded.  Quite why this is happening I don't know, but I have a
couple of guesses:

- make sure that there's no Explorer window showing files in your
iPlayer Recordings folder, and try a radio download.  If it works,
then Explorer is getting in the way. Possibly.  I've had problems with
Explorer opening files to do I-don't-know-what and failing to release
the file.
- try turning off your anti-virus software temporarily (yes, I *know*
this is really bad advice and a really bad idea) while downloading a
radio programme - make sure you turn it on again afterwards.  If this
fixes the problem, then get some new anti-virus software.
- oh, and make sure you're running the latest version of get_iplayer,
but I don't think it's the cause of this particular problem.

I don't use Windows with get_iplayer much, so others might be able to help more.

Jon Davies

A couple of ads (yeah, I'm biased, and I do get referral bonuses)...
- 15GB free cloud storage:  https://copy.com?r=TNZbAJ - use this link
to get an extra 5GB for both of us
- Award winning Broadband from £2.99 a month:
http://www.plus.net/myreferrals/new.html?intReferrerID=00611940