No More Regional Variations Of BBC Radio 1 (with patch)

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Tue Sep 24 19:47:53 EDT 2013

Hi all...

For the past 3-4 days, whenever I perform a
future radio cache refresh by running:

get_iplayer --type=radio -f --refresh-future --force

the refresh does start fine, but after a small while
(second cmd prompt window line) I get the following
warnings:

WARNING: Failed to get programme schedule feed for
radio1/programmes/schedules/wales from iplayer site
(6 times in total)
WARNING: Failed to get programme schedule feed for
radio1/programmes/schedules/northernireland from iplayer site
(6 times in total)
WARNING: Failed to get programme schedule feed for
radio1/programmes/schedules/scotland from iplayer site
(6 times in total)

then the refresh completes without any further warnings...
 At first I thought it may be due to server errors on the BBC side, as
reported recently in a list thread here:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2013-September/005019.html
or, possibly, a connection issue on my end, but, alas, the warnings do
persist...
 I had posted about a similar issue back in June, just before the Tag v2.83
release:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2013-June/004314.html

Back then, the warnings were caused by changes in the feeds' URL,
dinkypumpkin came swiftly to the rescue :-) ...
In my attempt now to find the changed URLs that would have been,
supposedly, responsible for the appearance of the new warnings,
I stumbled upon something quite different.
 If you navigate to these following URLs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/programmes/schedules/wales/2013/w37
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/programmes/schedules/northernireland/2013/w37
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/programmes/schedules/scotland/2013/w37

then they seem to suggest that after Mon 09 Sep 2013 10:00 BST,
all 3 separate regional variations of BBC Radio 1 ceased to broadcast (?);
I, of course, have no way of checking this, as being overseas, but my
safest guess is all 3 changed to the (now unique) england stream...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/programmes/schedules/england/2013/w37

In conclusion, there exist now no "new" regional Radio 1 schedule feeds,
just a single (england) one.
And the way to make those WARNINGS go away is just by stopping GiP
from checking for them...

I did it manually by locating in my copy of the get_iplayer.pl script these
lines:

'radio1/programmes/schedules/northernireland'=> 'BBC Radio 1 Northern
Ireland',
'radio1/programmes/schedules/scotland' => 'BBC Radio 1 Scotland',
'radio1/programmes/schedules/wales' => 'BBC Radio 1 Wales',

and commenting them out (#) (or delete them altogether, if you so prefer).

Now, being on Win32 is not very easy to create a patch file for this,
but I decided I'd have a go at it.
I installed DiffUtils for Windows from here:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/diffutils.htm

then spent some time to get familiar with the command line syntax...

The patch was created against the git HEAD at the time of posting
(commit f495e0d6df5a829c8b1aaa8c3b7e979066e0f1bc)

command used was:

diff -u "get_iplayer.git-f495e0d" "get_iplayer-patched" > "RegionalR1.patch"

Resulting patch is attached.

(I could be wrong however, and new regional R1 feeds may appear later or
can be found already where I haven't searched, but at least I learnt tonight
how to create a simple patch!)

Regards,
Vangelis.