Forbidden Filenames

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 09:14:27 EST 2013

On 04/03/2013 12:48, Kapitano wrote:
> On 3/4/2013 14:35 PM, dinkypumpkin wrote:
>>
>> Not so.  The subdirectory name is also sanitised with --fatfilename,
>> as you can see from the example Vangelis posted.  Without seeing your
>> command or the full output, it's impossible to know where you went wrong.
>
> Okay, I think I've figured part of it out. There was a zero length file
> in the download folder called 'Afternoon Drama'. GiP was trying to
> create a *folder* called 'Afternoon Drama', but couldn't because that
> would have been a name clash.
>
> As to *why* there was a file called 'Afternoon Drama', maybe someone at
> the BBC isn't very good at naming files. As for why it was zero length,
> I don't know, but I've been getting a lot of them - about one download
> out of every ten, tv and radio.

My guess is that things got messed up during a previous PVR run.  It may
have been an earlier programme which caused the problem, but one from
last week will demonstrate:

Afternoon Drama: Pilgrim - Series 4 - 2. Tregarrah Head

Without --fatfilename, the colon before the first hyphen would be
retained as part of the programme name, but the colon is an illegal
character for Windows file paths and thus the output path would be
truncated there.  If you tried to download that programme (or another
Afternoon Drama episode similarly named)  without --fatfilename and
--subdir and the download failed, you could be left a zero-length file
named "Afternoon Drama".