HD 1080 or 720

Christopher Woods (CM) christopher at custommade.org.uk
Sat Mar 2 08:48:53 EST 2013

On 01/03/2013 19:02, Shevek wrote:
> On 1 March 2013 16:36, Rog <zulu.romeotangohotel at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure I get 1080 from iPlayeer...
>> Ripper Street for example.
>>
>> File sizes are about 1.15 GB per hour.
>>
> All Ripper Street have been 1280x720 from iPlayer
>
> File size is not an indication of pixel dimensions, it is the bit-rate
> which determines file size
Agreed. All HD content available on the main iPlayer service is 1280x720p25.

HOWEVER, the HD programme material available if you have a Sky+HD box
... is 1920x1080i25 (I think, you get combing artifacts when you hit
pause but this might also be because the Sky+HD boxes max out at 1080i
on HDMI).

So, either BBC provides a feed exclusively to Sky's on-demand platform
just for us lucky Sky customers, or there is another unadvertised
version feed only available for specific devices or proxied through
specific gateways. When I realised I Wiresharked some traffic as I
downloaded a file, it was coming from a CDN. More investigation required.