Uninstallation (duplicate options files)

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 13:57:18 EDT 2013

On 27/06/2013 10:49, Kapitano wrote:
> On my W7 installation, there are *two* duplicate options files. One at
> Program Pata/.get_iplayer, and one at users/all users/.get_iplayer.
>
> I tried running GiP without one, then without the other. Both times I
> just got an error message and GiP couldn't search or download.
>
> Is this a quirk of W7? Or just of my installation of it? Or is there
> some good reason GiP does this?
>
> When I ran it on XP, the options file was always in Documents and
> Settings/All Users/.

I'm guessing that when you (or your migration tool) transferred your XP
system to Win 7 you just copied across the C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users directory.  The get_iplayer installer puts the system options in
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\get_iplayer, but %ALLUSERSPROFILE% resolves to
different locations on XP (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users) and Win7
(C:\ProgramData).  I'm fairly sure a clean Win7 system won't have a
C:\Users\All Users directory.  get_iplayer won't see it, anyway.