Version information detail?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 16:05:25 EDT 2013

On 25/06/2013 11:32, Robin Ellams wrote:
> Would it be helpful to other people to expand the "Version" info to
> include build or change date.  There were multiple updates to version
> 2.82 over a long period of time and it was became difficult to know just

Actually, there were no updates as such to 2.82 for Windows installer
users.  You may have updated your installation manually by pulling from
the Git repo, but anyone running the installer would always and only
have installed 2.82, until last Saturday.  Anyone who runs the installer
now will always and only get version 2.83

> which modified version was being used.  Extending the Version string to
> include the change date (i.e. 2.83 130623) might help. Perhaps it could
> even be incorporated in the change submission mechanism.
> At the moment I have modded get_iplayer.cgi along the lines of:
>      my $VERSION = 2.83130622;
>      my $VERSION_TEXT;
>      $VERSION_TEXT = sprintf("v%.8f", $VERSION) unless $VERSION_TEXT;
> and similarly get_iplayer.pl

There is a new installer in the works that will enable intermediate
releases and stamp them with "semantic" version strings, e.g., 2.83.2.1.
  The Homebrew installation for OSX already does this, while the package
maintainers for the various Linux distros use whatever scheme is
appropriate for their systems.  Anyway, the SWF URL brouhaha a few weeks
ago caught me on the hop, and I thought it would be a bridge too far to
bring in a new installer, so I opted to fall back on the existing installer.

Dates in version strings aren't very helpful since they don't record
what you actually built on that day and may not usefully tally with your
version control system (Git in our case).  It's not a big thing for
get_iplayer, but it's useful to be able to pinpoint what code revision
and installer build you have, which seems more useful.  Of course,  we
could just increment the get_iplayer version number more often and not
worry about intermediate releases. Perhaps my notions of versioning are
a bit old-school.