How to install get_iplayer on WinXP with perl already installed?

Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Mon Jun 24 19:27:55 EDT 2013

dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com> wrote:

> See the installation instructions for one way to do it:
>
> https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/wiki/installation

Ah... thank-you.

> Since you appear to know how to use Perl on Windows

Well, not yet.  But I see this as a fine opportunity to learn a little.

Perl's a language I've only ever read about, never written any code in. Time
I learned a little more I think.  I can see I'll need to brush-up on regex
for a start, as patterns seem to pervade perl code.  But it's still more
readable than APL, which is a classic 'write once, never understand again'
programming language.

> you may figure out a procedure that works better for you, but the
> instructions will give you a place to start.  Still, a little voice in my
> head is telling me I should be staging an intervention instead of giving
> you this information :}

It's clear that someone has gone to a lot of trouble to make the standard
installer/method as easy to use as possible for people who aren't willing to
fight their way through software configurations, but I prefer to know what's
where and why.  Thank-you for the pointer.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.