A bug in preferences handling (in 2.83)

Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Wed Jul 24 07:56:24 EDT 2013

While setting preferences I issued:

   get_iplayer --prefs-add --output "H:\"

which I assumed had worked - I didn't look carefully enough at the output
from that...  On my following attempt to fetch a programme I got:

mkdir H:\": Invalid argument; The filename, directory name, or volume label
syntax is incorrect at C:\My Dropbox\CLIpgms\get_iplayer.pl line 4021.

[I think, as well as the preference being saved incorrectly, there may be a
logic problem as one would not need to issue "mkdir <drive>:\" at all, and
here if I do issue that from an XP command prompt I get "Access denied". I
don't know of that would cause a problem for get_iplayer.]

I looked at the saved preferences using: get_iplayer --prefs-show
and found that the destination had lost its final backslash and gained an
unexpected double-quote.

Options in 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator/.get_iplayer/options'
        atomicparsley = atomicparsley.exe
        mplayer = mplayer.exe
        rtmpdump = rtmpdump.exe
        ffmpeg = ffmpeg.exe
        output = H:"

(Those program paths are simple because all of them are installed on PATH.)

Manually creating a subdir in H:\ and reissuing the command worked:

   get_iplayer --prefs-add --output "H:\GiP"

and the next fetch worked fine.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.